Friday, April 8, 2011

WHAT'S IN A NAME

I introduced myself to someone today at work. 

I looked down at her name tag as I was shaking her hand, and said:  Cynthia, that should be easy to remember, my sister's name is Cynthia, she was very special to me.


She then told me her story.  When she came to this country she was in a refugee camp.  She spoke no English.  She said that one of the people who helped her so much in the camp did not speak her language but they had the ability to communicate with each other and that she felt a very special bond with this woman.  When she became a citizen she was asked what she would like her name to be.  She wanted to honor this woman, so she chose her name.  She said that her only regret was that she had lost touch with her and was never able to tell her what she had done.


We hear all the time, I am named after...I am naming my baby after.  In my case, I named my son after my father.


Can you imagine having such an impact on someone's life that when given a choice they would want your name?  Who would you be??



 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathi,

    Been thinking about you! I don't see you on facebook any longer? How is life treating you these days?

    Best regards from Portland, OR
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete