Sunday, March 15, 2009

OH, ROB

We were at a meeting at work today, and someone answered the phone and said, "Oh, Rob (ert)." Which began a conversation around the table and she ended up doing her impression of Laura Petrie saying the classic line: "Oh, Rob!"

I then went to eat with one of the "kids", who asked me what in the world that was all about. I said, "That was what Laura Petrie always said on the Dick Van Dyke show." She then asked who Dick Van Dyke was...and pronounced that a TV show like that would never make it on the TV today. I did not have the heart to tell her that very little is different, and very little is better.

The Dick Van Dyke Show ran from 1961 through 1966 and was a classic. It was the story of a writer (DVD as Rob Petrie) for a comedy show. He lived with his wife (MTM as Laura Petrie) and their son. They lived next to their neighbors a Dentist and his wife, and worked with Morey Amsterdam and Rose Marie as the other two writers on the show.

I then spend most of the night searching youtube for the words "Oh, Rob" and I have to say I am defeated...but I am adding a video so that everyone can either get a taste for...or take a walk down memory lane...enjoy!




Tomorrow I will try to find her saying "Mr. Grant."

No comments:

Post a Comment