Monday, January 2, 2012

WHERE IS NOAH WITH HIS ARK??

The various chores that need to be done are many.  

I began the morning by insulting Henry by saying we should call Ken to take down the chandelier.  That began the response--
YOU THINK I CAN'T TAKE DOWN A CHANDELIER???

He did accomplish the task, but I think if you asked him he would say it was harder than it looked.

I decided to go through the pantry removing the untouched but lovely cookbooks, and clean out the canisters...
It seemed the opportune time to get new supplies.  Henry thought it would be good to just dump the canisters and buy new...but I scoffed at that, they are perfectly good. They just need washing...

So I began the cleaning process...

First came the 
  • sugar 
  • flour
  • Kosher salt
  • Corn Meal
  • Grits
  • Cane sugar
  • Sucanat
Things were going well, all of it down the garbage disposal.  Then I added
  • Orzo
  • Brown Rice
  • Rye berries
The first 7 ingredients sound like a recipe for paste...when you add the orzo, rice, and rye it all swells, mixes with the paste in the pipes and your garbage disposal stops working.


Insult #2:
I call Henry and ask him to call Ken to fix the garbage disposal.  His response,
CALL KEN, ARE YOU KIDDING ME...YOU THINK I CAN'T FIX THE GARBAGE DISPOSAL?
Which immediately turned into, 
WHAT DID YOU DO?
He begins to "strain" the sink for what he thinks is rice, not knowing how major the problem really is.

He then decides to plunge the sink.  We had Julia this afternoon so she scampers off to get the plunger.  Henry gives a giant heave ho to the plunger and the air release valve shoots off its base and rice water hits the ceiling and anything else close by...leaving Julia hysterical, Henry not so much.

He continues to plunge, it continues to shoot up.  That is when I decide to turn the canister which once held the rice upside down over the air release...water shoots up and washes back down into the sink.  

Soon he realizes that this is a bigger problem, it needs "the rooter". He and Julia go outside while she sits on the ledge and watches her Poppy jam the rooter into the pipe....which accomplishes NOTHING!

Those of you who know Henry know that patience would not be his strong suit...need I say more.

I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO GO INTO THE PIPES UNDER THE SINK.  WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

Julia is now bored, she turns to the television.  I am avoiding and saying, probably in a whiny voice, "I said I was sorry. Should we call Ken?"

I turn off the main water valve to the house.  Henry takes all from under the sink, and begins the task of undoing the pipe.

All of a sudden I hear Henry begin screaming:
FLOOD
FLOOD
FLOOD 

He had not counted on the water in the side of the sink where I was washing the now infamous containers.  He had put a wastebasket under the pipe which was now full...


Shades of the Sorcerer's Apprentice...he is now sitting in 3 inches of water and rice, rye, and orzo...and "is not very happy with me--especially when I arrived with the camera.




The little white/brown stuff under the sink is actually rice---the milky half moon of grey at the bottom is actually a trash can of rice water.



Now you can see the U-shaped pipe....that was filled with glue made of expanded rice and all the other ingredients.  Conveniently I was throwing out my needlepoint stretcher bars...one of which was the right size to clean it out.

I asked Hen if he wanted to have rice pudding for dinner but he had no sense of humor.
But in the spirit of Vern Troyer in Fantasy Island screaming Ze Plane Ze Plane

We will forever remember Henry screaming, Flood, Flood, and waiting for Noah and his ark!

I should have thrown out the canisters!
 


 

2 comments:

  1. If I had to rate your blogs, this would absolutely be the all time funniest!
    I have one word...composting!
    By the way, it wasn't Vern Troyer...it was Herve Villechaize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha so funny I will always remember this day!!

    ReplyDelete