Thursday, July 7, 2011

MOMMY not so "DEAREST"

Now I have always known, I would not be a candidate for Mother of the Year, but I have always muddled through, very thankful of how Cliff turned out.

Yesterday, he needed his immunization records.  I said quite simply, I threw them out. Who knew this would be the make or break deal for my motherhood status, after all I still had the receipt for his gym clothes for 4th grade, his receipt for photos for every year he was in school, Jr. Theater Playbooks of anything he was ever in....

"For God's sake" he said in a well modulated tone, "you never throw anything out.  Never.  What made you decide to throw out my Immunization records...now I have to get them again."

There was some truth in his words...I began to look for the records (even though I remember thinking, Yeah, don't need this any more...

This is what I found that I did keep...
The place card for Andy and Jen's wedding
These are the spare buttons that went with the suit that I wore to Katie's wedding...I no longer have the suit, but the buttons were FABULOUS!
An empty box of my mother's...
This is an earring I loved to wear in the 1980's when I was young an hip and living in LA...thankfully, you only wore one.
This is my cat, Sefronia (named after the 1973 album by Tim Buckley). She died in 1987, he died in 1975.
These wonderful earrings were marked down because a stone was missing (it is in the box).  These are from the days that Henri Bendel was a little 7 story building on West 57th Street with one elevator and a man who ran it and actually said things like (3rd Floor Lingerie).  A hand written tag, seriously, and more seriously, $149 was the mark down price for the broken earrings that are still in the box awaiting repair for 30 years.
This is a note that was in a magnificent Gucci wallet (and I saved the card) that was a gift from my friend Marcia in 1975.  If I dig deeper maybe I can find the wallet and put it on eBay (Vintage--Used).

This is one of a pair of earrings that I wore to my second wedding to Henry in December of 1987.  I purchased them at an art gallery in Santa Fe New Mexico in 1980.
This is from an art show in Santa Fe in 2008.
Believe it or not, this is a hair ornament from the 80's.  I remember wearing it to Gladstone's in Malibu with a large group of people, including my niece, Lauri.  She had put our name in as Flinstone party of 10.  When they called our name we broke into the classic "Flinstone's we're the Flinstone's....et cetera.  I was the only one with Pebbles hair however....
This was a gift from my parents on a visit to Iron River, Michigan....circa 1956.  This was right after we drover by the World's largest frying pan (Iowa), and the World's largest ball of twine (Kansas).  See what fun it was to drive cross country in the 50's.
This is a hair ornament that I bought at the 6th Winter Park Art Festival in 1966.  It was made by Geri Brownell, a fabric artist, wife of my Dentist Dr Brownell.
 This is a picture of Cliff the last time he thought I was the "Best Mom in the World"....I still think he is the bestest son though.


All of these things have been put back in their respective places, because they all have specific memories...and I cannot let go of them yet.  Maybe the time is coming...maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment