Sunday, May 29, 2011

IS THIS SEAT TAKEN?



I went to the movies today with my friend (the nicest person in the world) to see Woody Allen's new work of genius, Midnight in Paris.  Great movie--not the point.

We get to the movie before the theater is open. We are the second people in line to get popcorn (best popcorn in the city by the way).

We are the 7th and 8th person in the theater.

We carefully select our seats (best popcorn/worst seats) and settle down to await the film.

Two people come in and shuffle by us to sit one seat away, even though the row and the theater is empty they make us get up to let them by.  Deep breath.

In come two men who, of all the seats in all the theater, decide to sit right in front of me.  My friend and I look at each other and decide to move to the right seat.  We apologize to the people behind us, who say--can you believe they just did that.

We now have three empty seats to the left of us and two seats and the aisle to the right.

At this point, the theater is about 80% empty.

My friend has her jacket and handbag on the seat next to her, and I have my handbag on the seat next to me.

In come a couple, shuffle by us, and instead of sitting in the two empty seats, they sit in the seat next to me making me move my handbag (which involves a lot of strap unwrapping).

I hand my friend my handbag.

The movie has now begun.

Yup, in come two people and say to my friend (the nicest person in the world). 

Are these seats taken? The theater is full!!

I think (I HOPE?) I heard the nicest person in the world say--
NO, IT REALLY ISN'T FULL!

...as she moves her handbag, my handbag, and jacket.

Did I mention that the movie was good? 

No comments:

Post a Comment