Tuesday, May 26, 2009

KETCHIKAN









5/18/09

Our first stop, and a charming little village it is.


The ship drops you right in town...and there is a great yarn store, Mission Street Yarns.


Purchased Qivuit yarn for $93. (I bought color 4--and
no Betsy I will not give you the finished product even though I am sure you would not be allergic to it!!) This yarn comes from the underbelly of the musk ox--no joking here folks. Imagine little people crawling below a musk ox and combing out their hair. There is a job for everyone.


We enjoyed town and had a nice little lunch at Annabelle's--the local bar. They actually can smoke in restaurants. YIKES!

Decided that I would run and buy a bottle of wine for the room. Thought it would be nice to sit on our balcony and drink, knit, eat cheese, and listen to a book on my iPod. Do not normally drink red but with a lack of refrigerator (although I could chill the bottle by leaving it outside on the balcony), I decided to go to red! There was a wonderful little wine shop in Ketchikan--incredibly well stocked. I was drawn to this one red wine, a blend. Let's face it, I had never seen a black and white striped seal before--who could resist. It was from Jarmilla Spain and called Carchelo 2007.

Here is a quote from SiptheWine.com:
Not being your typical varietal, this Monastrell is a great alternative for Merlot lovers who want to try something new. The tasty Spaniard is easy to drink but by no means bland. There are abundant black currant and pomegranate notes throughout. From inception through the lovely, soft finish, the wine is just delicious. Varietals: Monasrtell, Syrah.

What the h. It was really good!! Give it a spin.

Returning to the boat, excuse me, ship, we learned that you can bring knives, ulu's, and other weapons on the ship--but a bottle of wine is confiscated. It can be release from it's jail if you pay a $15 release bond.

Still no regrets on the wine purchase.

Imagine the wine to the right...and you have the full picture of how I spent my afternoons!!

Completely wonderful relaxing day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment