Wednesday, October 28, 2009

THE BRA WHISPERER

OK, bra shopping is the one thing that can give me the hives. I have spent more years than you can imagine having people give me "the perfect fit".

The process is as follows: You go to the store, they take out their "special tape" and go out to the store and bring you 12 bras that do not fit in any way shape or form. This process of trying on bras to come up with the least offensive one takes a minimum of 45 minutes, and I end up with the same ill-fitting bra as I had prior.

I say to myself: Aarrgh! I would do anything to get a bra that fits. It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

The Intimacy store opened at the mall last year sometime. I never thought a thing about it. A few nights ago while watching TV there was a commercial on that I did not feel was great, but I picked up my computer, went online and made an appointment.

Today was the day. My appointment was at 10:00 AM. I was running late and arrived at 10:10, was offered water, which I accepted, and they asked me to fill out a questionnaire. What kind of problems do you have, bra straps slipping, yada yada. I wanted to write in big letters.....

I just want a bra that fits, for God's sake!!

At 10:15, I follow Amber into a fitting room. Amber looks like an amber. She is thin, adorable, and I am old enough to be her mother (let's face it at this stage I am old enough to be anyone's mother)...How in the world can she fit me in a bra?

Small talk while I got undressed. What did you do before this....I was a DJ at a radio station. You can actually see me mentally rolling my eyes here. They interviewed 400 people for the job and only hired 4 (ya right, I think).

Then she says: We do not measure here. We have a holistic method of bra fitting. My head is spinning around, because an eye roll is simply not enough at this point.

Now is the point that you strip down to nothing. I say I am losing weight (now you are rolling your eyes), and she says that's great because they will do complimentary weight loss alterations on your purchase.

She looks at my sad, naked body, and says I will be right back. Right, I think, she has gone for reinforcements, someone more skilled than her to do the fitting.

She arrives back with one bra in her hand. She says I think this is the right one. I am almost snorting with laughter...except that it fit. It fit perfectly. It fit better than any bra I had ever had. It fit and it was lacy, pretty. I felt like crying. She says, I think we can do better. BETTER!!! IS SHE KIDDING ME?????

She comes back with a black lacy bra, which was the most incredible thing that I had ever seen. OMG! I said, I'll take it. She said, that's your first bra, do you buy your first car? Yes, I said. You cannot possibly have more bras to try.

She arrives back with a handful of beautiful bras, lacy, in colors.
They ALL fit!!!
All of them!!!

I had choices....colors.

Tears came to my eyes!! I chose two, a black and a red. RED!! I have never had a red bra in my life...or a lace bra. OMG!! I wonder how they will look with my Jockey for Her??

The best is.....I was done at 10:30. Fifteen minutes to find the perfect bra!!

I love Amber. I wanted to ask her to Thanksgiving dinner. I wanted to hug her.

As I left the store, she yelled: You didn't even ask what size you wore.

I yelled back: Who cares? They fit!






No comments:

Post a Comment