Monday, May 25, 2009

R YA KNITTIN?



5/17/9

A full day at sea....on our way to Ketchican. Absolutely gorgeous day.

"Are ya knittin?" said the woman obviously from some southern city.

I opened my mouth, but her husband jumped in with "I tol' her to bring her knittin' and her music. She plays classical piano. I tol' here there wuld be one on board and she could jus' plop herself down and play." He beamed at the love of his wife proudly, which was very sweet.

I looked at Henry, he appeared horrified. Probably thankful that I would never decide to "plop myself down" and do anything worse than knitting.

These words jarred me into the real world. When knitting your mind can wander into fantasyland. I was awaiting Leonardo DiCaprio's arrival to the main deck, and the upcoming iceberg, soon to move on to becomming Kathleen Turner in Romancing the Stone... back to reality.

It took our "friends" a couple of minutes to realize that we were not going to ask them to join us. I could see Henry thinking "please don't ask us to eat with us." I decided to head them off at the pass, by saying nice to meet you. Perhaps we will see you later...and back to knitting! and backgammon...

Speaking of backgammon. Henry and I played backgammon every day (and kept score of course) for the first few years of our marriage. I actually packed our original backgammon board and (being the pack rat that I am) I still had our scoresheets from that time. The first sheet was January 1980...oh, yeah, I am still winning!!




All in all a relaxing day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment